More about me
Experienced product leader, focused on UX, tech & start-ups. Empathetic, enthusiastic, love a challenge.
I’m currently Product Director at Bloom & Wild, where we’re designing next generation gifting. We’re building best-in-class user experience and technology that powers flower delivery but that’s just the start. It’s a cool idea – flowers through the letterbox, ordered in under a minute via your digital device of choice.
I’ve worked for both small and large organisations, across a variety of sectors. Currently immersed in London’s exciting and ambitious tech start-up scene, I have experience of building high growth businesses; building, developing and managing teams, cultures and organisations and embracing all the change that comes with it. I’ve also experienced digital transformation in larger scale organisations and helped build out product teams to realise business goals.
User experience (or UX, if you like) is at the centre of all my work, whether it’s prototyping or managing a cross-functional teams. I’m interested in how people think, feel and do, and applying this to the design of products and services that solve genuine problems and user needs.
I’m also close to the tech and have grown development teams from single digits to multiple Scrum teams, and have tried and tested most flavours of Agile and Lean inspired processes along the way.
Long List of Interests & Experiences
- high growth business strategy
- design thinking – as a way of life
- hiring, managing and developing people (mostly product managers, designers, developers, QAs)
- fundraising, due diligence, etc…
- user-centred design (researching, prototyping, testing, customer journey mapping, heuristics)
- Agile principles (Scrum/Lean/Kanban) – with the experience and sense not to stick to the textbook
- coding, mainly for fun, but helping out where needed (Ruby, JS, HTML, CSS)
- service design and delivery (people and processes surrounding/enabling digital services)
- digital transformation at scale
- product management (in many of its varied guises)
- qualitative and quantitative data analysis (Google Analytics, SQL, and beyond)
- web development (IA, content strategy, navigation, UI design, HCI)
- fin-tech (loan origination and credit scoring, inc machine learning)
- start-ups (people, team and process development; rapid growth and development; lean/MVP)
- APIs/3rd party integrations (payments, credit scoring, JustGiving)
- mobile/tablet apps (design and build)
- idea generation and new product development (facilitating, prototyping, project management)
- digital / product marketing
- Certified Scrum Product Owner
A short history
USA. Bristol. London. All over the place. Melbourne. London.
Journalism and digital comms management in a past life. Now UX design, tech, data and product management. For the better.
Interested in how people use things (technology, especially), and how things make life better (or easier). This is also known as user-centric design or user experience or UX or service design. I’m currently using this to rethink the way we send gifts at Bloom & Wild.
Mainly: people, sketching, empathy, post-its, listening, data
Also: content, code, gadgets, black, white, grey
And: making these things work together to create great things
Time off: jmfmull, coffee, bikes, beer, music, far-flung lands and adventures
Cheltenham Science Festival
BBC Focus magazine
Ministry of Defence
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
City of Melbourne
Bloom & Wild
For fun and free tickets